Saturday, June 6, 2009

Why this is here.

I've written a screenplay in which a painting figures prominently. The criteria for the painting?
The events in the screenplay take place before World War 1, around 1905, 1906, so it needed to be a painting from that era.
Originally, I assumed it couldn't be a Vermeer, although I love Vermeers. After 'Girl With A Pearl Earring', I thought he might be over-exposed. I am still thinking about it.
The painting should be of a maternal or familial theme, lending itself to childhood memories.
Most important, the painting needs to be well-respected now, valuable now. This reinforces the protagonist's victory over those who would take it away.

My first choice: Mary Cassatt's 'The Child's Bath', 1893:






















and that's the one I had in mind during the writing.
This website is the answer to the following question: what if a studio reader just doesn't 'get' the painting?
I'm going to offer alternatives. I'm going to do the research so you don't have to.

You don't like Cassatt?

I'm not married to the painting. I'm not going to fight about it. I'm a writer, not an art critic; the story's the thing for me. Alternatives are above.

No comments:

Post a Comment